KUMU ART MUSEUM
Kumu is an art museum in Tallinn, Estonia. The museum is one of the largest museums in Estonia and one of the largest art museums in Northern Europe. It is one of the five branches of the Art Museum of Estonia, housing its main offices.
Kumu is an abbreviation of the Estonian “Kunstimuuseum” (‘art museum’).
Kumu presents both permanent collections and temporary exhibitions. The main collection covers Estonian art from the 18th century onwards, including works from the occupations period (1940–1991) and showing both Socialist Realism and what was then Nonconformist art. Temporary exhibitions include both foreign and Estonian modern and contemporary art.
Kumu received the prestigious European Museum of the Year Award of 2008 from the European Museum Forum.
KIEK IN DE KOK AND BASTION PASSAGES MUSEUM
The tower Kiek in de Kök together with the tunnels of the Ingrian and Swedish bastions is an exciting part of Tallinn historical fortifications. The exhibition of “Kiek in de Kök and Bastion Passages” reopened in March 2010, takes the visitor to a time journey that begins in 1219 and offers experience, information and entertainment. With the help of innovative video- and sound-effects and means of multimedia the birth and evolution of Tallinn, the history of town fortifications and the most significant military events are introduced to the visitor. The main part of the tunnel display- inside the Ingrian Bastion – concentrates on the history of the passages. In a short tunnel that leads to the Swedish bastion, the time train takes the tourist to 2219. The cafe on the uppermost floor of the tower offers magnificent views of the upper town Toompea, the lower town and the harbour.
March–Oct Tue–Sun 10.30–18.00. Last admission 17.30 Nov–Feb Tue–Sun 10.00–17.30. Last admission 17.00 The Museum is closed on Mondays and public holidays.
The Seaplane Harbour is a maritime museum in Tallinn, Estonia, opened in spring 2012. The museum is part of the Estonian Maritime Museum.
The museum is located in the Tallinn aeroplane harbour in a building originally constructed as a hangar for seaplanes in the area of Peter the Great’s Naval Fortress. The hall has an area of 8000 m². The hall was put out of service during the Soviet era. Its renovation started in 2010. The renovation was funded 70% by the European Regional Development Fund and 30% by the Estonian state.
HOTEL VIRU & KGB MUSEUM
Hotel exhibiting KGB artifacts from the Soviet occupation, including uniforms, cameras & spy gear.
Address: Viru väljak 4, 10111 Tallinn, Estonia
Phone: +372 680 9300
ESTONIAN OPEN AIR MUSEUM
The Estonian Open Air Museum is a life-sized reconstruction of an 18th-century rural/fishing village, which comes complete with church, inn, schoolhouse, several mills, a fire station, twelve farmyards and net sheds. The site spans 79 hectares of land and contains 72 separate buildings and is located 8 km to the west of Tallinn city center at Rocca al Mare. Established in 1957, the museum showcases 68 farmhouses assembled into twelve farmyards from North, South and West Estonia.
Along with the farmyards, old public buildings are arranged singularly and in groups in a way that represents an overview of Estonian vernacular architecture of the past two centuries.
The plans for founding the museum were first discussed in 1913, when Estonian literati, inspired by Scandinavian open-air museums, wanted to establish such a museum in Estonia.
ST. NICHOLAS’ CHURCH, TALLINN
St. Nicholas’ Church is a medieval former church in Tallinn, Estonia. It was dedicated to Saint Nicholas, the patron of the fishermen and sailors. Originally built in the 13th century, it was partially destroyed in Soviet Bombing of Tallinn in World War II. It has since been restored and today houses a branch of the Art Museum of Estonia, focusing mainly on ecclesiastical art from the Middle Ages onward. The former church is also used as a concert hall.
The Estonian Maritime Museum is located in the Fat Margaret tower in the old town of Tallinn. The museum presents history of ships and navigation in Estonia and related to Estonia. Other parts of the Maritime Museum are the mine museum and the Seaplane Harbour where museum ships are presented.
ESTONIAN MUSEUM OF OCCUPATIONS
The Museum of Occupations in Tallinn, Estonia, is located at the corner of Toompea St. and Kaarli Blvd. It was opened on July 1, 2003, and is dedicated to the 1940-1991 period in the history of Estonia, when the country was occupied by the Soviet Union, then Nazi Germany, and then again by the Soviet Union. During most of this time the country was known as the Estonian Soviet Socialist Republic.
Head of Lenin statue in the museum basement.
The museum is managed by the Kistler-Ritso Estonian Foundation. The foundation is named after Dr. Olga Kistler-Ritso, the founder, president, and financial supported of the foundation. The members of the foundation started to collect articles for the museum and for historical study in 1999. Cooperation was set with Estonian International Commission for the Investigation of the Crimes Against Humanity, the Estonian State Commission on Examination of the Policies of Repression, Memento Association, the Research Centre of the Soviet Era in Estonia, as well as with the Russian Memorial Society dedicated to victims of Soviet repressions, and other organizations.
GREAT GUILD HALL
The Great Guild was a guild for merchants and artisans, operating in Tallinn from at least the 14th century until 1920. It was based in the Great Guild hall, a Gothic building in the historical centre of Tallinn, today housing the Estonian History Museum.
The building was erected in 1407-1410, with the interiors finished in 1417. The façade is decorated with blind arches, and has a typical, prominent portal. Inside, the main hall especially retains the medieval atmosphere. It is a large (365 square metres (3,930 sq ft)) room, supported by a range of pillars with decoratively carved capitals.
The Great Guild hall is considered a typical example of medieval Tallinn architecture.
Address: Pikk 17, 10123 Tallinn, Estonia
Phone: +372 641 1630
TALLINN CITY MUSEUM LINNAMUUSEUM
Tallinn City Museum at 17, Vene Street is housed in a medieval merchant’s dwelling in the centre of the Old Town.
The permanent exhibition provides an overlook of Tallinn’s history through centuries – beginning with prehistory and ending with Estonia’s regaining of independence in 1991. Tallinn City Museum also connects 9 separate departements/museums around the city.
The museum and its café are open:
Wednesday – Monday 10.30 am – 17.30 pm
Address: Vene 17, 10123 Tallinn, Estonia
Phone:+372 615 5180
PHOTOGRAPHIC MUSEUM AT RAEKOJA
Neat little museum in the street just behind the central market square. It is housed in the old prison of which you can see traces all around. On display are interesting photographs from mainly the 19th and early 20th century showing the development of the art in Estonia. One section is dedicated to camera’s of all sorts and sizes.
Address: Raekoja 4, 10146 Tallinn, Estonia
Phone: +372 644 8767
Oma Asi is a shop that is home to the work of Estonia’s most talented designers and artists.
We like unique and original ideas which bring a smile to your face. Everyone likes things that are different or have a bit of a twist – things that stand out and leave you feeling unlike anything else.
Our cosy little shop offers the work of more than 60 designers, including Ulla Saar, Triinu Tiisel, Toivo Lillemets, Heli Rõõm, Terje Meisterson, Indrek Aava, Liisa Pähk, Erki Engso, Pavel Sidorenko and Anu Tamm.
You will find us in the smallest building in the shortest street in the Old Town of Tallinn – right next to the Church of the Holy Spirit.
Address: Saiakang 4, 10123 Tallinn, Estonia
Phone: +372 633 5025
MUSEUM OF ESTONIAN ARCHITECTURE
Museum of Estonian Architecture is a museum of architecture in Tallinn, Estonia. It is located in the Rotermann quarter.The museum is a member of ICAM.
Adamson-Eric was one of the most versatile Estonian artists of the 20th century. Known primarily as an accomplished painter, the artist worked in almost all fields of applied art. The permanent exhibition in a medieval merchant’s house is a cross-section of Adamson-Eric’s work.
The museum hosts educational programmes, workshops and art camps for children. Adults can go on tours with our curator or participate in workshops and art courses. In the Art Cellar, every visitor can become a creator and make a souvenir to take along.
Our projects include special events, lecture series, concerts, theatre productions, dance productions, film screenings, etc.
Address: Lühike jalg 3, 10130 Tallinn, Estonia
Phone: +372 644 5838